Sunday, May 29, 2011

Goodbyes and Q & A

     So first off I would like to take some time to bid Farewell to my good friend Moises (not the Program Manager). He passed yesterday of complications with undetected cancer. I don't really think the gravity of it has really sunk in yet, just because I'm used to seeing him at least once a month with a bag of peppers. We'd exchange them monthly and joke about how hot they were. Come to think of it, he was one of the first Nicaraguans I met when I got here. I remember trying to get baseball games going with the kids in the plaza and he'd come over and help me round them up and we'd put on a make-shift game with tree stumps as bases. I know service is only a short time in a person's life and sometimes you do look back and say "I should've visited more" or "I should've tried harder to get the kids to learn baseball", but when the sun goes down and you pray for that next day, you can't go back, you can only look forward. So here's to you Moises!!! I thank you for your hospitality, your spirit on the concha, and also the peppers!!!

     I was given some questions for this week by Jessica and I will answer them now.
1) What does it feel like to be a parent via relationship?

Well, like everything it has it's ups and downs. I remember when Geneva wouldn't look at me, and now she sends me letters. Though I can't necessarily say that I am in Love with children at thing point in my life, I can say that they are a blessing no matter if they are not yours. I Love Geneva, and she is definitely an added bonus to our relationship.

2) How does one deal with trying to enlighten others?
I don't... Not outright anyway. It's like giving Geneva medicine. Every child that I know hates the taste of medicine, but it is necessary. So one has to feed it to people in a way that is flavorful for them. We use orange juice!!! There is a proverb that applies here also, "When speaking, make your words sweet, because you may have to eat them later".

3)  Why did OK State. Feel like home?     

I had a wonderful time at Oklahoma State. It had been a while since I could say that I have had a group of friends that spanned almost the whole world. I mean race mattered and all, but it didn't inside the SIS (School of International Studies), people wanted to get to know you on an intellectual level; and they held you accountable on that same level, not only as peers, but as friends. Not to say that times weren't hard, they were, I was working two jobs, and taking classes at the time, but it was well worth it.

Well, that is it for this week, maybe if I'm in the mood I'll finish up on the other one I have sitting in the pocket. Any questions, shoot me an email, or message me on facebook.

No comments:

Post a Comment