Sunday, May 22, 2011

The Anger Edition

    So Monday I put up a post on Facebook, Gmail, and Google Buzz that I was taking suggestions for a post for this week. In 6 days I got one response and it was from Anna Baker, a PCV here in Costa Rica; so Anna thank you and here it is... The Anger Edition.

    It was kinda funny to be asked about Anger. I remember in my chat with Anna when she suggested it and that I said I didn't get angry. I can think of a lot of words to describe how I may feel, irritation, frustration, annoyance, but rarely do I ever use the word angry. Maybe my thinking was that if I don't give it a name then it doesn't exist, or if I don't recognize it then it isn't there; but it is there, locked deep within me, and it's something that I usually don't let get out.

     I think that I am a pretty even keeled type of guy, and even things that should get me upset and anger me are usually turned into jokes for other to laugh at, making jokes of serious situations is a strong suit of mines. Not sure where it really stems from though. I could say that Black men need to not be angry because society makes examples out of them, and labels them as such, but I'd probably be blowing half truths out of something other than my mouth.

     Though, come to think of it, even in my anger I have fought to keep a clear mind. Especially in choosing my words. Most know that when one is upset words and actions are usually a lot harsher than they would be when they are of sound and sober judgement. People tend to "Speak their minds" when they are upset, and I do encourage people to do so, though you will be hard pressed to get the same from me, or even to know when I am upset for that matter. Does it have it's consequence? Yeah, but doesn't everything in life?

     I guess the real danger is the internalizing of everything, from the angry words of others, to their dashed hopes and dreams. Some may say that I'm not being my real self in this instance, but ask yourself this, if I were my real self, would you be your real self around me? You may say yes as a knee jerk reaction to want me to be more open, but let's face it, the truth is no, you wouldn't and I am fine with that. Live a little, get to know me, and then you'll understand...

No comments:

Post a Comment